cygwin and FD constraints

From: Jeff Koster
Subject: cygwin and FD constraints
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:01:22 -0500

I've installed cygwin on WindowsME and compiled gprolog 1.2.16 within cygwin.
Everything seemed to go well. I'm now trying to port, the portion of an
application that I've written so far under Linux, over to the MS environment.

After a minor change to some C code, which I used gcc to compile on both
systems, the application seems to run successfully until I attempt to insert
a fairly large FD constraint in the form:

((X11 #=# e) #\/ (X12#=#e) #\/... #\/(X1n#=#e)) /\ .... ((Xm1#=#e) #/\ ....)
        #=> ((Y1 #\=# e) #/\  ....))

where X's and Y's are FD variables and e is a constant (integer).

The FD constraint itself is fine (it works under Linux anyways). I've changed
global, constraint, and trail stacks so that they are larger than the ones I
use under Linux. So I don't think that's the problem.

Under cygwin I get a segmentation fault at the point where I attempt to insert
the first constraint of the type above.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any limitations of gprolog under
cygwin/WinME which would be causing this. Note that with other FD
constraints, which I believe contain less variables and are simpler, the
application works fine under cygwin.

Also, is using cygwin generally the least painful way to port over to WIN32
environment, or should I be going about this a different way?

Any shared experience and advice on the above would be welcome.

Thanks, in advance
Jeff