Re: Getting started

From: Bartek Wilczynski
Subject: Re: Getting started
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:07:39 +0200

I suppose that Your problem is how to run an example from the book. You didn't
state what system you are running, but it doesn't make much difference.

When you invoke the prolog interpreter, you are in the interactive mode
(indicated by a ?- prompt). If You want to define a predicate, You should
consult a file with it's definition.

So, assuming You want to define a predicate parent/2 (I believe the first one
from Bratko's book then you should create a file containing the source:

parent(pam, bob).
parent(tom, bob).
parent(tom, liz).
parent(bob, ann).
parent(bob, pat).
parent(pat, jim).

save it in current directory (under windows it would be probably
c:\gnu-prolog\bin) as, let's say, parents.pl and issue a command:
?-[parents].
which is a shortened version of ?- consult(parents).

Then you can issue queries like ?- parent(X,liz).

If you have something really short and just want to try it quickly, you can use
?- [user].

which reads from the standard input instead of the file. You can just type your
code finishing with ctrl-D (End of File).

Hope that it will help, but I think You should look into the manual to really
get started.

--
regards
   Bartek WilczyƄski