fd_vector_max/1

From: Nicolas Pelletier
Subject: fd_vector_max/1
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:12:49 +0900

Hello,

I would like to know how difficult it would be to lift the restriction
that the maximum length for vector representation of FD variables is
fixed, and what the expected impact on general performance would be. I
am generating the configuration of a network equipment based on
constraints on the functions that must be activated (and some other
constraints on their respective configurations as well). Parts of the
configuration constrain the domains of the variables used in other
parts as some functions cannot be used together, or reserve some
resources, such as IP address ranges. Some of my FD variables
represent such ranges, and can sometimes span a big chunk of IP
addresses. I am reluctant to split these into several FD variables,
each spanning only 256 addresses or so, as this would make the program
more complex and error-prone, but I am also concerned by the waste of
memory I would incur if I were to set fd_vector_max to a huge value;
hence my question.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

--
Nicolas