Re: DCG, lists and custom operators...

From: Lindsey Spratt
Subject: Re: DCG, lists and custom operators...
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 15:22:19 -0400

Sean,
The DCG system is very flexible. It is mostly creating common Prolog clauses
from DCG clauses using term_expansion.
foo --> bar, baz.

is expanded to:
foo(A, B) :- bar(A, X), baz(X, B).

In an expansion such as this where no use is made of the list notation in the
DCG clauses, the DCG transformation makes no assumptions about what kind of
terms A, B, and X are bound to during evaluation.

With a little care, you can use the DCG syntax to implement state
transformations, where A, B, and X get bound to some arbitrarily complex term
to represent the evaluation state. This is a programming technique I use quite
often.

bar(A, B) :- B is A + 1.
baz(A, B) :- B is A * 2.

?- foo(1, X).
X = 4.

Relying on DCG expansion to handle argument-linking but not for list management
(as I show above), you have enormous flexibility in how you process the linked
arguments. You can certainly manage streams in very complex ways.

If you have not yet acquired it, you should buy Richard A. O'Keefe's "Craft of
Prolog". This is a wonderful source of ideas about and insights into serious
Prolog programming.

Lindsey Spratt