GLOBALSZ space problem...

From: emacstheviking
Subject: GLOBALSZ space problem...
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 22:35:09 +0100

I have written a lovely binding to SDL and I started developing an application and it runs for a while then runs out of globals space.

In my wisdom, I decided to use globals to hold key items like app. configuration and also the various SDL handles, window, renderer handles etc instead of passing around more and more parameters.

If I can't solve this I am doomed! I will have to write my world class application in something other than GNI Prolog.

Is gprolog "suitable" for a graphics based user application that might run for a full working day and be subject to untold requests by users?

I've invested a *serious* amount of time in my gprolog/SDL2 project: it has 87 SDL functions for lines, points, textures, window creation the lot, as well as predicates for working with TTF fonts, music and samples, hey, I even added some circle drawing in the c-code as well, solid and outline.

Why do I keep running out of space? I thought a "!" operation in my main loop would do it, I discovered this when writing a proof oc concept video game too, that seemed to be stable when printing out the statistics. I will have to play spot the difference.

I tried commenting out stuff to pin it down but so far no luck, it just slowly but surely leeks away until it dies.

I guess I just don't understand how garbage collection works.

Are g_assign and g_read designed to be hammered hard in a graphics applications rendering loop?

Gutted!

Sigh, I hope somebody out there replies, this list seems dead in recent months.