Re: [Xouvert-general] platforms

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [Xouvert-general] platforms
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:32:57 -0700

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:15:11AM -0700, Cameron wrote:
Linux has been my main OS since I started using it back in summer of 98.
However, during these years, I've had the chance to try other unices,
including the BSD's and Solaris. While, for my own personal reasons, I
still prefer Linux, I think it would be a great idea to support at least
the BSD's. As far as I can tell, xouvert intends to only support Linux
(at this point at least). I think that would be a mistake.

Xouvert does not intend to break or remove support for ANY platform on
which it already works.  GNU/Hurd, GNU/Linux, and *BSD will be our
biggest priorities, but we won't be hostile to patches that make Xouvert
work on proprietary commercial platforms either.

I also think that removing network transparency would be a big mistake
and that keeping it would result in no compromises in the rest of the
architecture.

Xouvert is an X11 server.  Therefore we cannot (nor do we desire to)
remove network transparency.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2