Re: [Xouvert-general] Hi

From: Alan Cox
Subject: Re: [Xouvert-general] Hi
Date: 18 Aug 2003 22:23:27 +0100

On Llu, 2003-08-18 at 21:54, Thomas Zander wrote:
> I am someone that wrote a driver for his laptop, and I was suprised to find
> I could not maintain my own driver in XFree CVS. Believe me when I say I
> welcome a fork very much!

Im currently trying to get the VIA driver merged and updated, and its
going remarkably well for XFree, its only been stalled a week because
Egbert (the unsung hero of XFree86 imho) has helped a ton.

Equally my input driver fix hasn't happened for a year

> While programming I have been looking and have been asking but never got an
> answer to a very critical question; where are the API docs that I, as a driver
> writer, can program against.

In the tree. Yes there *are* driver docs and they do specify namespace
rules etc.

I don't know how this tree will pan out but it or something like it is
needed and once its up I will be making sure its got the VIA stuff in if
I can't get it into XFree smoothly, ditto the pen driver fix and other
oddments.