Re: [Xouvert-general] Extended use of modules ? ( suggestion )

From: Alan Cox
Subject: Re: [Xouvert-general] Extended use of modules ? ( suggestion )
Date: 18 Aug 2003 22:45:02 +0100

On Llu, 2003-08-18 at 19:22, Christoph Breitler wrote:
> As i saw some discussion about the network layer and if there should be
> transparency and such stuff. The thing I really like about XFree is that
> it has at least some sort of module support. So my idea is why not
> expand the module support. If some people want to have net capabilities
> just enable network support at the config file and you are set. I am not
> really a programmer so this may be not really doable, if so please
> ignore ;)

X is a lot more network based than people realise. All X except for the
DRI 3D modules is via networking - be it over the internet or just on
the same host. X without networking is a little lacking in
functionality.

Also the per protocol modules like DECnet are tiny (although the XFree
CVS ipv6 one does need fixing to work on a box without IPV6!)