Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules (was: platforms)

From: William Lahti
Subject: Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules (was: platforms)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:30:21 -0400

On Monday 18 August 2003 6:43 pm, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2003 12:15 pm, Cameron wrote:
> >> Linux has been my main OS since I started using it back in summer of 98.
> >> However, during these years, I've had the chance to try other unices,
> >> including the BSD's and Solaris. While, for my own personal reasons, I
> >> still prefer Linux, I think it would be a great idea to support at least
> >> the BSD's. As far as I can tell, xouvert intends to only support Linux
> >> (at this point at least). I think that would be a mistake.
> >
> > We have every intent of supporting all the platforms XFree86 supports.
> >
> >> I also think that removing network transparency would be a big mistake
> >> and that keeping it would result in no compromises in the rest of the
> >> architecture.
> >
> > You must have read the wiki after it had gotten vandalized again. We
> > cannot
> > get rid of network transparency :)
>
> Have you thought about removing network transparency and replacing it with
> a network "plug-in" or module system?
>
> The idea would be that someone could plug in any sort of network
> transparent back end, be it IPv4, IPv6, DECnet, AppleTalk (*cough*) or
> Myrinet's GM message passing. The idea is to be able to easily switch
> between different types of network protocols.
>
> I don't know how the addition of IPv6 is going for X, but I'd be curious
> to hear how hard it was to add and if X is heavily tied to IPv4.
>
> Mark

We *cannot* remove network transparency. Period. There is absolutely no
question about it whatsoever. X11 *is* a _network_ protocol.

I think the reason everyone thinks its slow, is because everyone thinks that
X11 on a local machine goes thru tcp/ip. It doesnt. It uses UNIX sockets
which are very fast.

--
$ printinfo