[xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Recent Popular questions turned into FAQ

From: Alan Cox
Subject: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Recent Popular questions turned into FAQ
Date: 19 Aug 2003 14:05:35 +0100

On Maw, 2003-08-19 at 10:04, Craig Ringer wrote:
> It may be worth noting that XFree86 /can/ be slow, especially on
> uniprocessor machines, but network transparency is NOT at fault. More
> common culprits appear to be toolkits, video drivers, and font rendering.

And render (actually font rendering/render are the same problem space).
Both really need DMA driven GetImage/PutImage stuff so that we can pull
rectangles into system RAM for software render then blast them back.
Right now it pulls bits from the framebuffer using the CPU which with
PCI is abysmally slow.