[xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:20:40 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:32:06PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>        verwenden Sie niemals Outlook oder Outlook Express.
Hmm, my mutt shows these...  I don't think I get virii that way :)

> an feature which I really like to see is the ability for server-side
> widgets. Those could be created with several attributes (fonts, color,
> pixmaps, ...) by the client and connected with an specific event.
> Also it should be possible to specify, which events should be sent
> out to the client (i.e. in most cases nobody wants to know when the
> pointer is over an button, but it's really interested in when the
> button is hit) So ev'rything which happens inside the widget is running
> in the server.

Maybe you can explain the advantage for such an approuch, I fail to see
any.
Your example for a mouse over is false; many themes show buttons a little
different when there is a mouse over them.
And if the event system from X is any good, it won't send events like
mouse overs to the client if the client is not interrested in such events.

--
Thomas Zander