[xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:25:00 -0500

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:14:09PM +0200, Jerry Westrick wrote:
> The only time I use remote-X, is when I only want a single window,
> after I've started ssh session.

everyone's environment is different. most of the time, when I do a remote X
display, it's just one window that I need. I use it for:
- 'borrowing' a co-workers application that they have installed on their
  workstation
- using a GUI tool on a headless box that may be down the hall or on the
  other side of the country. (usually on the other side of a firewall).
- impressing people by running a window manager from one box to manage
  terminals displayed from another box, while running monitoring displays
  from several other boxes. :) (I can envision installations where one has
  dedicated 'window manager servers' and 'web browser servers', which do
  little more than serve up a particular application).

and for these cases, displays of individual X apps are much more efficient
and usable than a VNC session (VNC has a poor update algorithm).

but I've certainly used VNC at times as well (usually only when there was a
Windows box involved as a client or server tho).

Not trying to gainsay your point, just making note of my own experiences. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises