[xougen] FW: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: David Ross
Subject: [xougen] FW: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:09:41 -0700

Hi,

Somebody correct me if I am wrong as it has been a long time since I
have done socket programming but a socket acts very similar to a file
and if the socket is connected on a local on  a computer then all of the
socket's transactions take place in memory.  So what you put in on one
side shows up on the other, hence a pipe.  It seems to me that the
system resources used are rather minimal and benefits rather
substantial.  This helps reinforce code/product abstraction by forcing
us to decide what should be implemented server side and thus available
to everyone/every process compared with what should be implemented
client side.  Two of the biggest beneficiaries of this methodology is
security and stability of the server.

Furthermore I recall from a couple years back that there is now direct
memory protocol further increasing the speed.

Kind regards,
David

<snip>
<snip>

Everyone keeps stating how fast the Unix pipe is for the network
transparency, but how fast is it?
As it is now, the state of computer hardware is well beyond network
protocols in speed and efficiency, for obvious reasons.  So using a
network protocol on a computer is not very logical in the course of
speed and efficiency.   If the Unix protocol can handle it, keep it,
otherwise a new protocol, specifically for the computer is needed.
Unfortunatly I am not as up on Unix specific protocol, what is it called

exactly and what OSI layers does it consist of?
Ill do some checking while waiting for a response.
We will see which is faster ;)

James Hoegl
*nixer