Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: >> G-LiTe /
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:19:36 +0200

Line72 wrote:

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 09:15, Thomas Zander wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:35:52PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:05:32PM +0200, Jerry Westrick wrote:

<snip>
Another insteresting topic for dicusion would be looking into better
support for VNC, which is what most people use instead of a remote
X-Server.
An server-side support for VNC/RDP would be nice.
Would it not be equally, or even more interrestingly to have a client
(any X based window) have either more then one server, or let it move
from one server to the next.

To illustrate this; when I start XMMS on machine X and show the Gui on
machine Y I would like to move the gui to machine X later since I logged
in there.
Currently I can't do that without exiting the client and restarting it
elsewhere.

This is what I'd like to see.  There's no need to move the whole X
Session like you do with vnc, but it would be nice to be able to move
one window from display :0.0 to display :1.0, etc.

Mark
That might actually be harder than it sounds. Because there's a connection between the application and the X server, it's hard to just reroute that connection to the other server. This'd involve some extension on Xlib's side too. To move just any application you'd have to do this automatically in Xlib without the application having any control over it. (older applications are not aware of the extension and we still want to move those) There'd have to be some extension on the server side too ofcourse. I'm guessing there's a seperate application, like the window manager, that tells the application to move (actually talking to the extension on the X server) and the server then telling the Xlib part of that application that's about to move to disconnect and reconnect to another address.
Three problems I can think of right now:
- Where are we getting the addresses from? The window manager (in this case) would have to know what other X servers there are and where. - Would we allow the application itself to control (part) of this? Some Xlib functions for it? I have no idea. The way I explained it above it's handled fully in Xlib. - How are we going to redraw the contents on the other X server? Is it possible to just send an expose event for the entire window? Or would we have to resend the current state of the window? There's two ways to do the latter, entirely on Xlib's side or the X server extension contacts the other server (in which case the other server needs an extension for it too).

If there's an easier way, again, feel free to correct me. ;)

--
<address@hidden>