Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets

From: Eric Anholt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:26:59 -0700

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 06:47, >> G-LiTe / wrote:
> >I also dont, so I'm friend of the multiprotocol variant - so we _can_
> >put really evryting into the display server.
> >If I understood it right, 3D support is currently only supported local
> >(seems like somehow bypassing the Xserver ?). This should also work
> >remotely. Also I'd like to see an mpeg streaming support directly in
> >the Xserver, since many modern cards have hardware acceleration for that.
> >

> MPEG streaming is possible, I think. But 3D _really_ can't be done over a
> network, unless you write a wrapper library orso to handle it.
> Using 3D means directly writing to video memory and it just won't work
> over a network. Simple as that. Applications using opengl in X don't
> even do it using the X11 protocol.

They do it with the glX protocol over X11.  If you use software
rendering with XFree86 4.x, the 3d gets sent to the X Server to be
rendered ("indirect rendering").  If you have working DRI, you can see
this by doing "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 glxgears" and watching top in
another window.  Currently the DRI doesn't support hardware-accelerated
indirect rendering, but that's not to say it won't be supported some
day.  It's just a question of someone doing the work.

--
Eric Anholt                                address@hidden
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         address@hidden