Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Server Side Widgets
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:07:08 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:37:04AM +0200, Per Cederberg wrote:

<snip>
> Seems the xwin.org Wiki is down at the moment.
> Anyway, there they have links to a couple of
> projects working along these lines:
>
> Fresco - http://www.fresco.org/
>
> PicoGUI - http://www.picogui.org/
>
> They either have or are working on some X11
> compability layer. Remaining seems to be support
> from the major toolkits (and whatnot).

Of course you need support from TK side. When the TK connects
(or perhaps triggerable by some event), it tries to talk an extendet
protocol, which can carry widget information. If it is not supported,
then the widgets are painted by the client as usual.

To save resources, both side could excessivly use so's w/ load-on-call.

<snip>
> > If you want something like this, my advice is to help make X more
> > modular and then allow the toolkits to write it themselves as I
> > mentioned before.
>
> Or join one of the projects mentioned above.
> Xfree86 has almost all the users, but they
> have the "right way" (or so some people say)
> to do things.
No, i dont want something on top of X (or some other device) - i want
it to be supported by X.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/