RE: [xougen] Building from source [was: Regarding server side widgets]

From: David Ross
Subject: RE: [xougen] Building from source [was: Regarding server side widgets]
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 01:19:13 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I am not pro-Autotools nor am I anti-imake.  I am just trying to figure
out what we are doing and why so I can put it in the FAQ.  In fact, I am
all for status quo because it is proven already.  But that does not mean
that we should exclude other possibilities, especially if it keeps us
from reinventing the wheel.  There is some comparisons between the
Autotools and imake at
http://www.gnu.org/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_chapter/autoconf_17.html#SE
C178.  I realize that this is from the pro-Autotools camp.

I am all for simple, whether it is nCurses or tcl/tk or perl/tk or [your
mothers favourite menuing/gui system].  Am I making sense here?  I would
like to mention my positive experience with the Autotools in compiling
stuff on MacOSX and Linux[Debian/Mandrake/Redhat] and Cygwin.

Also, I have heard that there have been problems with the latest gnu
C-pre-processor (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.1/cpp/) and
imake.  Are we trying to ask the cpp to do something it wasn't designed
to do?  Are we going to inherit further problems into Xouvert because
of these problems with cpp?  I think one of our main goals is to be able
to have a Xserver compile with only what is needed to a specific system.
So I could compile my Xserver for my ATI 7000 card, and another one for
my iBook and another one for my Windows-Cygwin without compiling stuff
that would be needed for a NVIDIA system--but my friend could easily
compile the x-server for his NVIDIA system.   Does this make sense to
you guys?   Which ever way we decide to take the configuration route, I
am happy to learn and help out with that platform.  No doubt which way
we go, we will be helping that configuration platform become better,
more mature and more robust. (I love buzz words :) ).  Not only do we
need to consider what makes our lives easier now but also what the long
term implications will be.

Since there seems to be more pro imake people here on the mailing list
rather than the IRC, please let me know what your thoughts and
experiences have been.

Sorry about the long message, but I guess I had a number of questions
to ask ....

Thanks,
David