Re: [xougen] FW: imake status in Xouvert

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] FW: imake status in Xouvert
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:27:07 +0200

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 12:49:24AM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:

<snip>
> Could all of the various maintainers for different OSes get together to
> rewrite XFree86's build to use autotools and be portable to the same
> platforms?  Probably.  But I expect it'll require so many os-specific
> hacks that it'll result in a mess that is slower to build and more
> difficult to read than the existing, working imake build system.
automake at all is nothing more as an collection hacks.
it really sucks and produces more problems as it solves.

So we need something completely new - designed from ground up for the
problems of distributed development and strongly heterogenous environments.

See my latest posting about that.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux ITS
 Webhosting ab 5 EUR/Monat.          UUCP, rawIP und vieles mehr.

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/