Re: [xougen] building just the drivers you need (was: Regarding server s

From: Arwed von Merkatz
Subject: Re: [xougen] building just the drivers you need (was: Regarding server side widgets)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:40:48 +0200

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:46:12PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 08/29 09:53 , Tyler Hall wrote:
> > Keeping the tree as it stands right now offers no such modularity. We
> > need to reorganize the source to allow such modularity, not just to make
> > life easier for binary packers, but for those developers who wish to
> > contribute to just one module.
>
> when I first compiled X, I was shocked and amazed that one needed to compile
> *every* driver (and all the documentation!), in order to get just the one
> you wanted. having compiled Linux kernels for years, I was used to being
> able to just use a configuration tool to pick the drivers I wanted, and not
> have to worry about the rest.

I don't know what you've done, but i've compiled XFree quite often, and
i definitely didn't compile all drivers. There's a setting in host.def
#define XF86CardDrivers <drivers>
which controls what drivers get compiled. There should probably be a
menu to configure the host.def, but it _is_ possible to disable all
stuff you don't need.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video