Re: Why we won't have server side widgets anytime soon (Re: [xougen] Reg

From: Yaroslav Rastrigin
Subject: Re: Why we won't have server side widgets anytime soon (Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:31:23 +0400

Hi !
On Thursday 04 September 2003 09:23, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:25:21PM +0400, Yaroslav Rastrigin wrote:
> >> Server side widgets is totally foreign to X. If you want to go do that
> >
> >Could you care to explain your position regarding this statement ?
> >Why storing drawables in X server memory is Ok, but adding interactivity
> > to them is not ?
>
> The one can be implemented simply, the other will require an embedded
> scripting language.  Please read "The Unix Philosophy", by Mike Gancarz,
Sorry, but already existing interactive features _do_not_ require scripting
language at all.
I'll try to explain little further:
Widget's task is:
to be displayed on screen and to pass user input to underlying client code so
this code could do useful tasks, based on values given by user.
Right now we have semi-widgets - we have windows sending events, like
'User pressed this key or button when focus was in this window' or
'Mouse hovered over this window' and such.
Why couldn't we take this approach one step higher , i.e.
Composite widget, consisting of two or three pixmaps or vectors, with probably
some text, sends an event to an application:
'This button was pressed' or 'Mouse hovered above this menu item'.
This approach fundamentally isn't any different from current implementation,
and easily fits into existing client-server message pipe.

--
With all the best, yarick at relex dot ru.