Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X

From: Steve Nickolas
Subject: Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:52:54 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
Hi Steve,

You do have a good point, keep X simple, well focused and to the point; however, is sound support so far off from graphics, from the desktop? Perhaps an extension to X for sound would be the way to go. In anyevent, it comes down to the user experience and making things easy and coherrent for the user.
When I first starting planing around with the network aspects of X, XMMS was one of the first
things that I tried out.  I thot it was kind of cool that I could (at the time) telnet into my
desktop box and control its sound output from another box on my local network.  What would be
really cool is having "networked" sound and "sound server" boxes that are
little more than speakers, decoding hardware, and a network connection ... hmmm .... sounds like a
project for school.  Perhaps this already exists ....

Just my $0.04
:)

David

PS  Sorry about my poor spelling, but I am being forced to use webmail at teh
moment cuz my computer is boxed up. :(

Well, we were talking on chat, and I suggested a system parallel to X, which I referred to as A, or the "A Audio System", which would run alongside X, and provide a much-needed portable sound library (it would be detected with an environment variable "SOUND", paralleling X's "DISPLAY"). But I would have it a separate module, personally...

-uso.