Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 12:58:48 -0700

Alan Cox wrote:

On Sul, 2003-09-07 at 19:52, Steve Nickolas wrote:
Well, we were talking on chat, and I suggested a system parallel to X, which I referred to as A, or the "A Audio System", which would run alongside X, and provide a much-needed portable sound library (it would be detected with an environment variable "SOUND", paralleling X's "DISPLAY"). But I would have it a separate module, personally...

NAS, Esound, arts..

We have three already thank you
Agreed, that remote audio already exists, and works fine. However...there are disadvantages to using a system that doesn't ride within the X protocol. These include:
1) Prolifiration of APIs
2) Complexity of configuration (particularly firewalls, etc.)
3) Most importantly, strong synchronization. Unless the audio and display information travel through the same stream, and go through the same event handling API, there is no way to guarantee tight coupling(e.g. <20 milliseconds) between audio and display events.

-Tupshin