Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: [Xouvert-general] Network transparentcy and modules
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 21:30:47 +0200

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:12:28PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

Hi,

<snip>
> > This would also nice to have: an X server which can detach from the
> > console and then go into sleep (freeing all resources not really needed)
>
> X already does this - when you hit ctrl-alt-f1/2/... etc
No, i meant the virtual console. So always the same virtual console
is used for different X servers - always only one active.

<snip>
> > btw: why not implementing some MPEG and audio support in the Xserver ?
>
> XFree86 has this already (Xv, Xvmc). For the synchronization side of all
> this you need a better audio layer than esd and Xsync which needs some
> kernel bits.
hmm.

Having audio and video on diffent hosts is quite interesting. I personally
have multiple machines under my desk, only one is connected to the
stereo set. So its quite good for wathing videos on the other's screen,
but hearing the sound through the first machine.

Well, the sync is always an problem. But it mostly works when adjusting
the time gap between audio and video manually.

Perhaps an new audio protocol with exact time measurements could help us.
I.e. we could tell the audio server "play this stream from timestamp XYZ".
Of course the clocks must be in sync (i.e. with NTP)

<snip>
> > Perhaps we should design an completely new graphics interface framework,
> > where the question of display hardware,location,protocol is completely
> > hidden behind (a little bit in the spirit of SDL). This interface could
>
> XFree86 already does this internally too. Maybe you should read the code
> some day ?
Yeah, now you've got me on the wrong foot. I did not yet look at the
code carefully, since its really, really big. Also I currently dont have
the current version here - I've got only an 64kbit/s dialup access -
DSL etc wont be available here for the next years ...

Splitting the source would help very much.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/