Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X

From: Steve Nickolas
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:37:44 -0500

Johann Henriquez L. wrote:
<snip>
Having an X extension about sound, it will get transparent network, and finally an standard in desktop, because not only KDE or GNOME will be benefit, the alone apps will be benefit with this. (well, if everyone start to use it) but, there is another problem, let's pretend the X sound extension is adopted for all graphic-apps. What about non-X apps? (e.g. mpg321) this apps will have to do a plug-in to play, just like this apps have for esd and arts. i think the main reason to have an X sound extension is to become a standard for all apps that use sound, and the network transparency.

You can get all of that without adding on to X, I think, by writing a system that is X-like in nature and which runs alongside (but completely oblivious to) X - plus, you have the advantage that console apps like sox, ogg123, etc. can be written to use it, even without X available. This is, IMHO (and I don't think I'm alone) the best approach.

I know I tend to sound a bit befuddled, I hope this is a sufficient explanation why I think sound support should NOT be part of X.

-uso.