Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 12:27:51 -0700

Alan Cox wrote:

On Llu, 2003-09-08 at 04:18, Tupshin Harper wrote:
What you absolutely cannot get without awareness (at a fairly low level) of X, is synchronization. See my earlier message about that.

Assuming the sound output end and display are on the same box (as would
be normal) all you need is X properties. Prebuffer audio, send a batch
of X events ending wiht the property change, have the audio server watch
the change and fire when it sees it.

Yes, same machine scenario is what I'm talking about, but your solution requires that the sound server have awareness of X events, and I was responding to Steve's suggestion that the sound componenent can be "completely oblivious" to X. That just isn't the case. I'm beginning to be convinced that the previously mentioned MAS (http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net) does almost everything required, but I'm absolutely *not* convinced that any of the commonly available sounds servers (esd, arts, nas, etc.) are sufficient because (among other things) their lack of awareness of X events on the X-server side.

Pre-buffering and triggering also has problems. It assumes the ability to pre-buffer without introducing unnecessary delays. Consider the scenario where an image and an audio clip need to be displayed with a high degree of synchronization, but a priori knowledge of the data involved is not available (e.g. they could be randomly selected from a prohibitively large set of candidates). In this case, it is necessary to *first* send the audio (or at least enough of it), and then send the graphical event. But how is it possible to know the shortest reasonable time to wait for the audio to get pre-buffered? There is no way to avoid introducing some delay (just through lack of information). Check out the MAS documentation for more info(http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/documentation.html). The first slide presentation on that page (PDF format) also contains a great overview of the benefits.

-Tupshin