Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X

From: Chuck Wolber
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:37:42 -0700 (PDT)

> > And we tried that as well. When the invisible pointer gets over xview,
> > the xview mouse pointer (a square box) appears.
>
> You need to do it for the toolkit windows too, or use a toolkit which is
> saner about such things. For xview I seem to remember you have to hack
> the toolkit source, but with xview being 32bit only and gtk having quite
> similar sane API's (or Qt sane C++ ones if you prefer) its years since I
> touched it.

Our instance was running without a window manager. We knew we could patch
xview to choose a different mouse pointer. Instead we decided to replace
the mouse pointer bitmap (which arguably breaks things worse than forking
xview).

It was a lot easier to replace the bitmap than it was to patch the code.

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education                  | -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-