Re: [xougen] Sound and X

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [xougen] Sound and X
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:52:59 -0700

Patrick McFarland wrote:

Why is everyone gungho about supporting sound in X?

X is a windowing system. Its about graphics. Its not about sound, and never
will be about sound. So why is Xouvert officially supporting such an
abhoration?

Did you actually read all of the thread, including the various complications and issues that arise when you try to synchronize audio and video on a remote display if the sound server isn't an X extension? I'm not saying they are impossible to resolve any other way, but it certainly *adds* complexity to have the sound protocol be external to the display protocol.

Is an X application used by the blind all about graphics?

To me, X is an I/O mechanism. It presents information to the user, and it receives input from the user.

-Tupshin