Re: [xougen] Sound and X

From: Patrick McFarland
Subject: Re: [xougen] Sound and X
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:44:54 -0400

On 10-Sep-2003, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> Did you actually read all of the thread, including the various
> complications and issues that arise when you try to synchronize audio
> and video on a remote display if the sound server isn't an X extension?
> I'm not saying they are impossible to resolve any other way, but it
> certainly *adds* complexity to have the sound protocol be external to
> the display protocol.

Yes I did, and I realized people think X is more than it actually is.
X is a windowing system, not a sound manager. No matter the arguments the
pro-MAS side have used, you're all missing the point that its a windowing
system. This is why X was created, and this is what it is for.

> Is an X application used by the blind all about graphics?

Why would someone blind be using a windowing system? Im not trying to be funny,
but I would think a blind person would be better off with something that doesnt
need the kind of spacial skills using X would need.

> To me, X is an I/O mechanism. It presents information to the user, and
> it receives input from the user.

It has a I/O mechanism for graphics and user input. But that doesnt define what
X is.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || address@hidden