Re: [xougen] Sound and X

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Sound and X
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:22:25 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 05:11:38PM -0700, Tupshin Harper wrote:

<snip>
> Yes, you can theoretically, and with difficulty, have an extenal(to X)
> sound server be aware of X events, but is that better than an X basd
> sound server?
Well, having an external sound server, but X based sync is not an
bad idea. So you can easily have them on different hosts.

What speaks against an rtc-based synchronisation on both sides ?
I already posted the idea to trigger some playback stuff by clock events.
Assuming, both clocks are equal (or we know their difference), it shouldnt
be such a hard job letting both audio and video frame start at exactly
the same time. If we have high network latencies, we could be the prebuffer
a little bit larger, so it fits again. These adjustments could be done
mostly automatic, or at least we can detect problems automatically, so
the user can do manual adjustments (once per setup).

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/