Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X

From: Steve Nickolas
Subject: Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:34:08 -0500

William Lahti wrote:
On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:04 am, Steve Nickolas wrote:
Sure, there should be a standard widget set, but it shouldn't be part of
X.  X's job is merely a portable network-based graphics-rendering engine
at its core, simply a minimalist windowing system.  And I don't believe
in cruft.

Oh, so just because I use Linux and like flashy eye candy and stuff like that I need a new windowing system? X is not a minimalist windowing system, X needs to be the correct blend of too much and not enough, because it must continue to satisfy _all_ of it's users. Note: This is in general, I agree with you about the sound and widget stuff.

And, notice I said "graphics-rendering".  Sound is not its concern.
Yes, it would help to have a standard sound system, but it has nothing
to do with X.

Yes, besides MAS is designed to do exactly what sound in X would do.

http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/ would probably be more up your
alley.

I know I am not alone in this.

I guess it's pretty much decided that MAS is the way to go... (But I'd keep it a separate program, IMHO)

What would you think of having a seperate widget server alongside X? I truly am against adding sound and widget support into the X server itself, but providing standards like MAS and a widget server I think would be beneficial overrall. Plus, it's the UNIX way (seperation of the entities)

Hm, that's precisely what I said... :)

Just the common stuff, labels, textboxes, listboxes, combo boxes/dropdown lists, scroll bars and buttons, I think. The kind of stuff one can do in Visual Basic without the need for OCXs *ducks*

-uso.