Re: [xougen] Question for newbies

From: Yaroslav Rastrigin
Subject: Re: [xougen] Question for newbies
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:12:29 +0400

Hi !
On Thursday 18 September 2003 05:29, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 09/17 11:10 , Diego Calleja García wrote:
> > I saw this on osnews.com: http://www.rocklyte.com/news.html
> >
> > I'm a newbie in the X world, someone could explain in 2-3 lines what
> > these people did?
>
> I'm probably about as ignorant as you, truth be told; but to me it looks
> like some company is trying to hype their technology, and they're using
> fabricated benchmarks to do it.
??? Why do you think so ? Some things are missing from their press release,
surely, but this is a press release, not an in-depth overview (in "Tom's
Hardware" style).
They are using SciTech's SNAP binary drivers, and SciTech did a great job -
I've installed SNAP beta, to give a look - and they are quite snappier (pun,
yes). Basically, you could check SciTech's site to have more accurate
benchmarking results, and I will not rule out possibility that rocklyte has
actually improved overall 2d subsystem performance even further. After all,
this isn't impossible.
What's even better (although probably off topic here) - they managed to
produce _consistant_ UI.
> IOW, it's meaningless marketspeak. :)
I have a feeling that this conclusion isn't thoroughly thought out :-)

--
With all the best, yarick at relex dot ru.