Re: [xougen] GPL-ed X compression scheme -- my gaff

From: Steve Nickolas
Subject: Re: [xougen] GPL-ed X compression scheme -- my gaff
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 06:06:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Rich Wareham wrote:

> [ Aside: One thing I think Xouvert could /really/ do with doing is
> packaging X for Win32 in a nice installer like NoMachines do. Cygwin is
> OK but brings in a lot of cruft with it. For people who just want to run
> an X-server on a Win32 box to access a remote *nix machine its overkill.
> Especially if you have a 50Mb homedir limit :) - A quick Win32 GUI
> frontend to the command-line options of XFree86/Win32 would be good ]

Indeed... I would be able to use a lightweight X server that I can pack on
a CD, much more easily than Cygwin.  See below

> Of course NX is a /lot/ better on sensibly-powered machines over low
> bandwidth but how many people run X over dialups anymore?

I'm connected by dialup... If I wanted the full power of my own box
available when I'm not home, the best way, I could carry an X server for
Windows on a CD, and run it off the CD, and log into my own box, well, I'd
need it to be useful over a 56K line, that would give me an excuse to get
out of the house while not losing the ability to run xchat from my home
box, and mingkofo (my irc box), and connect to the three servers I
frequent. ;)

-uso.

--
usots | "Yumeyume utagau-koto nakare       | "Dreams, dreams,
ukiAT |  yumemiru kodomo no yume no yume." |  don't doubt dreams,