Re: [xougen] Some thoughts about X....

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [xougen] Some thoughts about X....
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:08:00 -0700

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:03:12PM +0200, Stefan Klinger wrote:
Well i finally done some thinking about X(ouvert)....

Nearly everybody seems to like the idea of having X modularized, why then not stay compatible with the X-Protocol and other basic X interfaces, but write the actual implementation in an OOP Language like C++ ?

That would be a separate project.  Xouvert is in C.  If someone wanted
to write an X server in Common LISP, we would be ecstatic and be happy
to help them out.

About the server side widgets - i think predefined widget sets will never survive, but maybe it would be possible to "upload" a set of predefined "drawing operations" and "pixmaps" or something like that. So a toolkit can be written that it can upload more complicated widgets to the server.

You mean like Display PDF and Display PostScript? :-)

An other really actual problem seems the clipboard, there should be an well know extensions that the clipboard will support mime content or any other way that an applications knows what type of data it contains. Then

That is something that definately should be discussed on the
FreeDesktop.org forums; this is exactly the kind of thing they are
working on standardizing.

And an other important thing would be to have a better documentation than X - maybe an seperate documentation project should be created in paralell to Xouvert.

No, documentation is part of the Xouvert project, and I might even go so
far as to say it is an essential and crucial part of the Xouvert
project.  If you are volunteering, show us a beginning of work on such
documentation, and we will immediately incorporate it and give you
commit access to the archive.

Something I am not sure about are printers, aren't they very much like screens. Wouldn't it be possible to have a printer server work a bit like an X-Server, or just let it be a special kind of X-Server?

That is a very interesting idea; should be possible to hack the Display
GhostScript code to do something like that.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion Stefan; we hope you stick
around and become a part of the project.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2