Re: [xougen] Some popular questions.

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [xougen] Some popular questions.
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:28:25 -0700

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:24:31PM +0300, Elver Loho wrote:
1. Is full alpha-channel transparency planned for the second release of Xouvert next year? I remember reading somewhere that many closed-source drivers do not even support this in hardware.

If the code is ready, we will definately include it.  Realistically, it
is unlikely to go in before the third release, and quite possibly won't
make it until a later release.

2. Is there an accelerated OpenGL backend for Xouvert in the works or planned? I've seen yet another fork of XFree86 that does this but badly. A lot of people seem to dislike the idea of simply rendering the windows as textured quads. What would be wrong or bad about this approach? Could the OpenGL backend be used "transparently"? That is, when the hardware for this is available and without the apps themselves knowing or caring about this.

If such a backend is done in a modular way, we could include it for
people to test, but not as the only or even the default available
configuration.

3. Is automatic configuration in some form planned or would people have to rely on external configuration tools? Generating and then editing XF86Config is by far the most annoying thing about any Linux or BSD desktop install.

We have no plans beyond the X server at this point, but have heard great
things about the Knoppix auto-configurator, and may seriously start
looking at distributing it separately sometime during preparation for
the second release.

Thanks for your questions, Elver.

Jonathan

--

It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org