Re: [xougen] merging

From: manu
Subject: Re: [xougen] merging
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:44:21 +0100

Le 30.10.2003 18:46:51, Elver Loho a écrit :
: i didn't mean autotools... i mean running the xfree server without a : xf86config file... its supposed to autodetect everything fromw hat I
: heard...  my buddy told me its gonna be in 4.4 but he didnt know
anything
: else about it...

Will it also be offering run-time detection of hardware?

My current pet peeve with X is that my USB tablet usually doesn't end
up on
the same /dev/input/event interface when I (re)plug it or reboot.
Would love
to even have a tool for changing the Device option of an InputDevice
on-the-fly. Current solution is editing the XF86Config file manually
each
time there's a problem and restarting X.

I wonder if it would be possible to just configure a new InputDevice
in
XF86Config and let the X driver for that device figure out which
interface is
the correct one. Maybe the X driver could look for the device in
/proc/bus/
usb? The latter sounds like the easiest solution by far.

I know there had been a lot of discussion about enhancing the input layer to handle your situation and other ones. But I don't think this will be in 4.4.0, certainly in 5.0 AFAIK.
Bye
Manu