[xougen] Any plans to keep up with Longhorn?

From: Maurizio Colucci
Subject: [xougen] Any plans to keep up with Longhorn?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:57:24 +0000

Hello dear developers,

I heard Longhorn is going to have vector graphics only, dropping bitmaps
completely. I was wondering if you have any plans to counteract to (and
possibly improve) those features.

To be precise, every graphic element (which means every widget, window frame,
icon, text)

1. will be vector defined.
2. will be rendered using the hardware primitives of the cards (3d cards are
    mandatory in Longhorn, except for palmtops I presume).
    That is, Longhorn will call the card's primitives to draw lines and
    texture-mapped poligons, no software blitter.
3. will support translucency (aka alpha-blending).
4. will use z-buffering (don't ask me what for... futhermore translucency and

    z-buffers don't mix well AFAIK).
5. will be dimensioned relative to the screen size, not to pixels, so as to be
    invariant of the screen resolution. So, when you increase the
    resolution, the bitmaps won't get smaller, and the lines will not become
    thinner.

Useful or not:

1. these features will become a must in order to compete with Longhorn. I can
already hear Windows fans "linux has still bitmapped graphics" adding to the
already known complains.

2. web browsers will HAVE to supply those features (translucency and vector
graphics) in order to be XAML compliant.

3. It seems to me that these features must be designed into the architecture
right from the start. For example, a dependency on openGL seems mandatory.

The KDE developers said it is not up to them, and that little is possible
unless the X server supports those features.

Do you plan to support those kind of things? DO you plan to improve them?
Thanks to everyone!
Maurizio