Re: [xougen] Any plans to keep up with Longhorn?

From: Elver Loho
Subject: Re: [xougen] Any plans to keep up with Longhorn?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:24:52 +0200

<various pieces snipped>
: use Cairo for graphics
: see above
: see kdrive for this functionnality (which is implemented and works)
: http://xserver.freedesktop.org
: done, see above
: this is widget library specific
: guess we're pretty darn close (see above)

And when someone asks when we will see all these actually implemented and
working in a mainstream project (Xouvert for example or even the original
XFree86 tree) then the date usually given is sometime at the end of
2004/2005...

If it has all been done then why hasn't there been a release of XFree86 or any
big X fork with all these features?

I'm pretty sure that all or at least most of these components are
high-quality. I'm sure that there are a lot of things which have been done
for X with no or low publicity. Those who have the brains to code these
things should not be afraid to share them. They should push such features
into the original XFree86 project, into Xouvert and into every other place
they can find. Advertise via Slashdot and OSNews. Make a lot of noise. Start
a public discussion about what you wrote and improve it. Linux is evolving
fast but X is what's keeping it back right now. A more agressive development
style is needed if we want to get out of this "damn they have that feature so
when are we going to get it" lifestyle.

This letter is not meant as a flame or a personal attack. I'm just asking if
all this is already available and is opensource then why don't we see it on
most Linux desktops already?

Elver Loho
User, not a developer.