[xougen] Re: Dealing with images

From: Gian Filippo Pinzari
Subject: [xougen] Re: Dealing with images
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 03:07:42 +0100

Hi Kaleb,

On Sunday 07 December 2003 18:15, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> To be a Standard though, you need to write a specification and have it
> go through X.org's standardization process. A proof of concept, in the
> form of an implementation, is useful too.

We have the proof of concept. Should we write such a "X image
compression and streaming" specification and submit it for approval to
the X consortium? Such an extension would be useless without clients
leveraging it. I'm speaking about GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, OpenOffice,
Evolution and I could name many more. We need the support of the
X developers otherwise it's better to use our time and resources to
write a layer that don't need X apps to be aware of it. We already have
hard time making a living out of writing OSS software, so I don't think
we'll follow the Rule and spend development time and resources in
something that, maybe, nobody will ever use.

Does OSS development always follow the Rules? Fortunately not.
Look at the XDamage extension. There were some talks and a
sample implementation from Havoc. It solved a very real problem,
so everybody agreed on it. Keith Packard wrote the specification,
a better version of the code and it immediately went into the
freedesktop X server. As often happens in the OSS world, somebody
comes with a solution, then the OSS world elaborates it, improves
it, plugs the holes and makes it a standard. We would like to follow
the same OSS rule. Unfortunately we are still at the stage that most
X people seem to completely ignore (or consider not worth of
mention) the work we have done and the problems we are trying
to solve. Obviously I think they are wrong, otherwise I would have
already stopped complaining in mailing lists ;-). I'm just starting
to believe that also the OSS world suffers of the 'not invented
here' syndrome.

I carefully read the "Open Source Desktop Technology Road Map"
of Jim Gettys:

http://freedesktop.org/~jg/roadmap.html

It doesn't make any mention of NX. This is really sad. I'm sure Jim
knows about our software, so I must argue that he thinks that X
doesn't need specific X protocol compression, X image encoding
and streaming, a X agent system resolving round-trips at application
server side, embedding of different remote desktop protocols in X,
a proxy system implementing bandwidth control, encryption,
transport over a RTP network, session initiation through SIP and
other things we instead need in NX. Should we write a specification
for each functionality and wait the X developers to embrace them?
It would be fantastic, but I don't think we have the money to live
long enough to see this happen.

I read in the previous document that Jim Gettys thinks that ssh -X -C
or VNC are good enough for most remote computing needs. Well, I
think that the proof of the pudding is in eating. I would really like to
know if Jim Gettys has ever tried our software and if he had a chance
to run it, side by side, with ssh -X -C or VNC.

Many X people seem to forget that there is a company whose name
is Citrix and another company whose name is Microsoft that have
nearly the 100% of the remote computing market. Probably these X
people should rather argue that ssh -X -C is no-good. Some weeks
ago we received an e-mail from a company that qualified itself as
a Citrix partner since 10 years. They told us that they had tried NX
and were stunned by the performances. It was the first time, since
10 years, that they had something that could beat Citrix. They are
now in the process of becoming distributors. And, yes, they had
tried ssh -X -C and VNC.

I read again the thread about NX in the old XFree86 forum. The point
of Keith Packard and Jim Gettys was that the work that is taking place
at freedesktop.org should make possible to run remote X applications
with the same efficiency and with the same features provided by NX
without any of the NX solutions to the problem. I studied the papers
but I don't see any solution to the "X image encoding and streaming"
problem, so I think this is a good place to start working together.
And I hope, Kaleb, that your suggestion is not to do all the work by
ourselves ;-).

Kind regards,

/Gian Filippo Pinzari.