Re: ./configure problems

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: ./configure problems
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 08:44:46 +0200

>>> "Eric" == Eric Sunshine <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 >> CVS Autoconf selects tcsh as CONFIG_SHELL if
 >> SHELL=/bin/tcsh.
 >> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2004-04/msg00072.html

 Eric> The patch which I submitted to autoconf-patches on
 Eric> 2004-04-19 will resolve this issue.

 Eric> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf-patches/2004-04/msg00019.html

Hmm, it seems to me this will just hide this problem, not really
cure it.  Am I mistaken?

 Eric> Perhaps you or Paul could commit it to the repository.

 Eric> My SHELL has been set to tcsh for years, but it does not
 Eric> pass Autoconf's "shell function" test. Does modern-day
 Eric> tcsh support Bourne-like shell functions?

It appears the problem is that the shell function test is run as

$as_shell 2> /dev/null <<\_ASEOF
shell code
_ASEOF

instead of

$as_shell ./shell_script 2>/dev/null

The former starts an interactive shell while the second does not.

As I've said in my report, my setup is so that the configuration
file for an interactive shell ends with `exec zsh'.  Hence when you
call `tcsh <<EOF ... EOF' you are effectively running zsh and the
test passes.  However, when you later run `tcsh ./configure', you
are running plain tcsh and that fails.

I guess the OP has a similar setup.  Perhaps we should avoid
feeding shells on stdin.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz