Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:59:45 +1000

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 07:48, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:28:11AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > >  My thought is that instead of trying to go about effecting changes
> > > in two very large pieces of software(Windows,Cygwin) (one which we have
> > > much more influence over than the other (i.i.e.. we have 000000 control
> > > over Microsoft, and (0 > control < 1) over cygwin) we can try to get arch
> > > to work on both systems.
> >
> > Sure, and reducing the length of path needed will do that. Attempting to
> > thunk around by path tricks won't.
>
> Actually it demonstrably will, since that's exactly how vfat works.

VFAT stores the relative component at each step in the path. OS calls
store (at worst) the full device path. If you use an A variant OS call,
you are limited to (I forget the exact value ) 260 chars. Cygwin
normalises paths as part of it's normal operation, it doesn't pass
relative paths to the OS.

But hey, fire up your cygwin box, write a test script, and see. I could
be wrong.

Rob