[Gnu-arch-users] config-manager, feature exceeding tla [build|cat]cfg

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] config-manager, feature exceeding tla [build|cat]cfg
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 11:48:57 +1000

Ok, I've now implemented all the features in tla buildcfg and catcfg. It
is feature equivalent to tla buildcfg - given a tla config, it should
produce the same results, given the same parameters.

I won't reiterate how to get it - I've covered that in previous mails
(check the archives
:http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-10/msg00180.html).

So:
cm: config manager
usage:
cm [options] command config-file
commands: build cat
valid options:
 -v --verbose             be verbose about operation.
 -d --dir                 location to output built tree in.
 -s --source              The RCS source for the config itself
 -p --paths               only list the paths from the config.
 -r --release-id          Generate a ./=RELEASE-ID for this config.
 -a --arch-build-options  Options to pass to tla get.

the -a option allows you to emulate the -no-pristines option to tla
buildcfg. And equally to implement --links option with no changes to cm.

i.e.
tla buildcfg -r --no-pristines configs/emf.net/devo.tla
becomes
cm build -r -a="--no-pristine" configs/emf.net/devo.tla

and will produce the same =RELEASE-ID file (barring the generated-by
credits:]).

I'm finding this quite useful, surprisingly enough :}.

cm does have more features than tla cat|build cfg - for instance, it
accepts configs on stdin, and can generate just the paths for use in
multi-tree updates.

Rob