[Gnu-arch-users] Planned move to Arch (cygwin issue) ...

From: Davide Libenzi
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Planned move to Arch (cygwin issue) ...
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

Since the sun must have hit very hard on my head this summer, I'm thinking
to move my whole dev group from CVS to Arch. My group has a mixed
unix/win32 development environment, so I definitely need a stable thing on
windows (2k/xp). This weekend I installed and played with the latest
Cygwin and I have to say that it is greatly improved from the last time I
used it (1999). There's a problem though, AFAICS. Bulding the latest Arch
in Cygwin did not give me results I was looking for. Even with :

$ ../configure --prefix /usr --with-cc gcc --config-shell /bin/bash

the build mysteriously fail the first of second time, and then it succeed!?
The `make test` fails in the test suite that perform fs-related thingies.
I ran a `make install` in any case hoping that those tests were a little
bit too aggressive, but they weren't. Arch indeed fails during the tagging
method selection by saying that the file ,,tagging-method cannot be moved
onto =tagging-method (that exist in the first place). Looking at Cygwin's
syscall.cc it seems that they use the correct function (MoveFileEx()) in
my system (XP), so I am running out of options. Is it possible to have
Arch correctly working on Cygwin?

- Davide