Re: patch: executable modules support with "guile -e ENTRYPOINT"

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: patch: executable modules support with "guile -e ENTRYPOINT"
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:20:30 -0400

   From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
   Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:14:17 +0200

   That is not exactly the same since it does not allow the evaluator to
   memoize the variable reference (or a future compiler to do fancy
   optimizations).  When the user writes

       ;; be sure to use the builtin car and not our own version...
       (((@ guile) 'car) lst)

   he/she might not be aware that this expression will perform the
   lookup each time it is executed.

well, if he/she wrote it, hopefully he/she knows its implementation
implications (or doesn't care either way).

   But my main point is that this syntax is different from the syntax
   used by your "-e" option and that there is no way to use the "-e"
   option syntax in Scheme.  We should use the same syntax in both and
   then why not do it right?

forcing the same syntax is a superficial goal.  you are free to pursue
it in the name "doing it right", but that entails figuring out what is
right for everyone, which is something i'm not qualified to help w/.

thi