Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Richard Todd
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:28:44 -0600

Paul Jarc wrote:
It's doubtful that incompatible changes will happen to all modules in
this collection all at the same time.  Coercing them all into a single
version number/compatibility schedule doesn't seem helpful.

Helpful to whom? I'd argue that it's extremely helpful to users if they only have to deal with "package X requires Guile-Library v1.5 or above", rather than "package X requires these versions of these 17 modules: ..."

I don't think syslog is a good idea regardless of the language.  It's
more flexible to print logs to stdout/stderr; then it's easy to choose
another program to add to the pipeline for filtering and storing the
logs.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.
(in other words, what does this have to do with the topic at hand???)

As long as the code exists, I don't think there's much benefit in
aggregating it.  It just has to be easy for users to find.

Ok, I am definitely starting to feel like a stranger in a strange land, here. If this many people really don't think that guile is missing basic library services, maybe it's just not right for guile. I expected several classes of response to this project, but I never anticipated that people didn't think it was needed. Having used many languages over the years, to me it stands out as an obvious hole. But that's just me.

Searching with google, I found a pretty good sounding proposal from 2001 by Martin Grabmueller for reorganizing ice-9 into a hierarchy a lot like what I was working towards. It even happened to have some of the same names like (math primes) in it! It was addressing other topics I have yet to bring up, but planned to, such as putting srfi capabilities in named modules and making (srfi srfi-XX) the alternate interface.

What happened to that? Based on the surrounding messages it seemed to be received well. Nearly three years have passed...
(http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2001-03/msg00116.html)

Richard Todd