Re: Input parser

From: Hans Kieserman
Subject: Re: Input parser
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:06:10 -0500

> this is about RoseGarden, I lurk on the ML :-).

You know, bad luck "announcing" before the work gets anywhere : )

>  2. The smarter route:

Great, I'll take a look.

>     Problem that remains, is that you will have to synchronize music
>     expressions, i.e. putting the D and the G above each other in
>
>     { c4 c2 c4
>       < { c8 c8 d8
>         g4    g16 a16 } >
>     }

Sorry to be picky, but could you explain this example?  It looks like 6
sequential notes- how am I reading this wrong?

>  3. The coolest option:
>
>     Write a new backend for LilyPond. Currently, we have 2 (one for
>     notation, one for MIDI). It would be mighty cool (and very
>     convenient for people that want to export LilyPond to whatever
>     format) if we could have a 3rd one; one that dumps some kind
>     synchronized music events (for example, in XML). I think that in

Yes and no.  Everyone has their own idea of what the "most natural"
representative format is, I think, and you're right that notation, MIDI-tracks,
and synchronized are probably the three main forms.  But it's arguable that
synchronized will help anyone any more than MIDI already does.  (RG, for one,
is probably most similar to the MIDI universe in how it thinks about music
data.)  That being said, MusicXML etc. looks very implementable and therefore
usable by more projects.

Thanks for the info!  Expect more questions in the option 3 vein, I would say.
Hans

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8