openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] feature news

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] feature news
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 20:06:23 -0500

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 07:30:50PM -0400, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:

> > > Better take on the win2k driver. ItContains symbols ;)
> >
> > Unfortunately, no DOS sound emulator :(
> >

> The problems you are having are likely quite hard to avoid. VXD's don't
> seperate code from data which of course makes quite a mess and makes
> disassembly much more difficult. afaik ida does some code/data analysis
> but I am not sure how good it is.

It works for the most part, but the output is annoying to read.  As you
say, data is intermixed with code and it is difficult to find a logical
flow to it.

> Even with source I don't imagine the dos sound emulator is a nice place to
> play.

You are right, it's not.  The real-mode DOS driver is much easier to analyze.
I am trying to determine how the OPL3 cell works, whether it is in hardware
or an emulation, and where the vortex chip addresses are for it.  With
that information, an OPL3 device can easily be added to the ALSA driver.
(It can implement a cheezy sequencer but much better as a programmable
synthesizer.)

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253