openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness / Quad codec

From: Antti Seppälä
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness / Quad codec
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:39:34 +0300

Hi again.

I've been doing some more experiments with different buffer time values and
noticed that there are quite a few values which Openvortex driver currently has
problems with.

Another thing I find worth mentioning is that there is at least one buffer time
value below 371 which doesn't output bad distortion. The value is 172 ms for
stereo 16 bit 44100 Hz samples. Playback with this value is interesting to
listen though, because it makes my Vortex2 card behave strangely sometimes. The
playback has a lot of clicks and sometimes after a small while of playback the
"fast play" -bug appears again! The playback doesn't speed up as much as it did
with earlier openvortex driver versions, but it still gets definately faster.

This might be just my imagination, but I believe that the fast play has a good
chance of appearing when sound has been playing continuosly for a time between 1
to 2 minutes. It plays fast a couple of seconds and then normalizes again. If
the sample I am playing is long enough, the fast play will appear again when a
minute or two has passed.
How interesting...

Quoting Stanislav Kogan <address@hidden>:

> I have a nasty suspicion that this may be related to the stereo swapping
> problem. The clicks that we get when we change the buffer to below 63KB
> sound very much like stereo swaps.

This is my opinion also.

- Antti Seppälä

This mail was sent through IMP Webmail at http://www.imp3.tut.fi/