openvortex-dev

[Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness

From: Antti Seppälä
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 14:16:58 +0300

Hi all!

I'd like to report this issue while trying to use certain buffer times in
alsa-xmms output plugin.

If I try to play something using buffer time larger than 412 ms in XMMS it
outputs a warning to console saying:
"** WARNING **: Buffer time reduced from 500 ms to 371 ms"
Then sound begins to play.

The "reduced from" value is of course changed according to what buffer time I
try to use.
This message does not appear if I use buffer times between 372 - 412 ms.

If I set buffer time to exactly 371 ms, XMMS pops up an error dialog labelled
"ALSA-XMMS Error" where says: "Buffer time <= 0" and no playback starts at all.
Setting buffer time to a value below 371 makes playback work again, but the
sound becomes heavily distorted. Changing the period time setting around doesn't
have any effect on this.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Since this is my first post to openvortex-dev, I'll include the result of lspci:

:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 2 (rev fe)
        Subsystem: Aureal Semiconductor AU8830 Vortex 3D Digital Audio Processor
       Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 (1000ns min, 3000ns max), cache line size 08
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
        Region 0: Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Region 1: I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
        Region 2: I/O ports at e000 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

My sound card is Vortex2 SuperQuad Digital and I'm using latest CVS.

I will gladly provide more information if needed. :)

- Antti Seppälä

This mail was sent through IMP Webmail at http://www.imp3.tut.fi/