openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness

From: Taisto Kuikka
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:26:41 +0300 (EEST)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Antti Seppälä wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to report this issue while trying to use certain buffer times in
> alsa-xmms output plugin.
>
> If I try to play something using buffer time larger than 412 ms in XMMS it
> outputs a warning to console saying:
> "** WARNING **: Buffer time reduced from 500 ms to 371 ms"
> Then sound begins to play.
>
> The "reduced from" value is of course changed according to what buffer time I
> try to use.
> This message does not appear if I use buffer times between 372 - 412 ms.
>
> If I set buffer time to exactly 371 ms, XMMS pops up an error dialog labelled
> "ALSA-XMMS Error" where says: "Buffer time <= 0" and no playback starts at
> all.
> Setting buffer time to a value below 371 makes playback work again, but the
> sound becomes heavily distorted. Changing the period time setting around
> doesn't
> have any effect on this.
>
> Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

XMMS doesn't do exactly the same for me, if I set buffer time to 371
ms it just crash. Every other setting cause horrible distortion.
That's with latest cvs. So far every application have same problem
and that's why I now use 3 days old version without latest eq code.
After that new eq code I haven't managed to get other than very
heavily distorted sound. :(

--
Taisto Kuikka

Registered Linux User # 244216