pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Go To Next New Article

From: Vigil
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Go To Next New Article
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:42:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Duncan 1i5t5.duncan-at-cox.net |Pan Users' Mailing List|
wrote:

>> When I 'Go | Next New Article' it also reads it. I don't want to read
>> it, I just want to go to it in the threads pane. How to..?
>
>Hmm.. You are correct.  I don't know that it's currently possible, using
>"next-new", tho of course you can go to it manually, which of course is made
>easier if you set up a view showing only new articles.

I have it showing only 'new' articles ('Filter | Match New Articles') and their
threads ('Show Matching Articles' Threads') but of course it shows the millions
of other articles in those threads that are both read and unread. 'Show Matching
Articles Subthreads' only shows new articles (great) but there seems to be
multiple subthreads of the same thread all laid out as if they were completely
new threads, as opposed to all under one thread. For example, there is a massive
thread called 'Bowling For Columbine', which started about a week ago. If I use
'Show Matching Articles' Threads', I see the entire post listing of all articles
ever sent to it, even though I have 'Match New Articles' only. If I change it to
'Show Matching Article's Subthreads', I get lots of new threads all called 'Re:
Bowling For Columbine'. I think it should be all under one 'Bowling For
Columbine' thread, but only showing the subthreads that contain new posts. At
least, if that's not possible now (although I'm sure it used to do that in
previous versions - I'm using 0.14.2), then I'd like it to do that in future.

You can understand why I want to skip to the next new article, without reading
it, because if I read it, next time I come to read the newsgroups I'll think
that I intended to read the thread, and find out that it was boring instead. I
can't be setting 'ignore' and 'watch' flags on everything because there are just
too many articles and threads to do that and I haven't the time.

>I'd suggest filing a bugzilla feature request..

I think I shall do this.

--

.